Monday, July 6, 2009

Scorecard #2

The latest update on my adventures in online dating: it's been a month now and not only am I not in love, I'm not even in like! Well, that may not be completely true. I have crossed messages with some very nice men, who for one reason or another, were just not for me. I reply to their contacts with what I hope are graceful words that make them feel that reaching out to me has not been mocked; that there is a real person on this keyboard who hopes they will find the special woman their heart desires.

Life has been more interesting. Several times a day, I check to see the men delivered by the Internet into my desktop. This little message dropped in last week:

"Hi...Just wanted to let you that you really do look like a very cute lady...I loved your look and the twinkle just says it all.......I am very much attracted to ladies of your age and size. I know that you might find that strange but it is true! ...I do have photos of myself but unfortunately not on this site...I am so dam handsome that if my photo was on here, I would be buried with emails from ladies waiting to meet me ...I don't have time to respond to them."

I checked out his profile which gave no personal info except that he was interested in a casual relationship and was legally separated. OH YEAH! It took me about three seconds to start typing: "Dear XXXXX, I may have a twinkle in my eyes but I also have a brain between my ears and I really don't feel that we are a match! Granny B"
OK, so I'm not always graceful and polite.

Then there has been the strangest messages from three different men in different parts of the United States. The first was a very touching message from someone, in upstate New York, who described himself as widower whose wife died suddenly and tragically leaving him with a 17 year old son. He said he had studied the course in Electrical Engineering and had a Masters. He was looking for a last love and willing to relocate to find happiness for himself and his son. There was a photo on the profile of a nice looking fellow, light skinned with dark hair. A couple of days later, a second message came in from someone in LA. He had several photo's, said he was Irish with blond hair and blue eyes and the photos were very attractive. Funny thing, the message was almost word for word the same as the guy in New York! This one claimed to have studied the course of Economics and obtained an Masters from Oxford in London! While I was pondering how and when Oxford moved from Cambridge to London, here came a third message from someone in the MidWest. Message was nearly word for word as the previous two. I forwarded them with the profile names to the dating site as a possible scam and requested they be blocked from any contact with me. The next time I looked, all three profiles had been deleted from the site.

Then there is a dear little man (in his 80's) in a small town in New Mexico who views my profile and photo nearly every day. I think he has sent four or five flirts and I just reply to tell him that I hope he finds someone closer. The other day I saw a new profile without a photo but with the same identity tag. He had changed his age and changed his life experiences but I knew it was him. Sure enough, this new persona checked out my photo. It's nice to wonder if I am a fantasy for him.

Remember a number of years back all the discussion about men getting in touch with the expressive side of themselves. Well, for the most part, on dating services, they have succeeded! Everyday I read such tender words of hope and longing. If these offerings of eternal love and delight are true, then there are a whole lot of lonely and unhappy people out there in the cyber world. I've been thinking about this for the past week, do I need a someone in my life to make me complete? No, I don't think so. I need and want a someone to add to my life and my happiness in the little ways. A foot rub with lotion at night, pot of coffee when I wake in the morning, the glance exchanged when we "get" the same thing at the same time. If I don't find this person, I know that I can make my own coffee and laugh at Keith Oberman by myself. It just would be nice...

Scorecard: I have cancelled "hookup". I don't like their system and as I have said before, couldn't figure out why they sent me matches who like Billo the Clown. I am still on "silvermatch" and like their program. I have also joined "fishyfishy" and am getting a number of Nevada prospects from them. I may try some other sites. I know some of you have expressed concern that I don't know what I am doing. What can I say, you're right but I am learning as I go and also doing my due diligence on the whole subject of Internet dating. The latest book that I finished is: "I Love You...Let's Meet" by Virginia Vitzthum (Little, Brown and Company: 2007). An interesting take by a smart woman who just wanted more in her life. I have also read a great deal from the Internet and personal blogs. Hey, I made it through my first month, stick with me kid! Granny B is still on the road to a last love...

Thanks for all your support. Please feel free to leave a comment below. Oh yes, pass this on!

4 comments:

  1. GRANNY B,
    Reading your blog always makes my day, and brings back the not so fond memories of when I tried internet dating, that now make me laugh. I always hated to believe that everyone was a liar....I was there right? some of them must be real?
    After a while my profile was sooo mean, I would not have want to talk to me LOL. It seems like dating sites are a web of guys trying to cheat on their wives, or use women "with no brain between their ears" for sex.
    Good luck with the search :)I see we do not have to worry about guys taking advantage of you LOL, you are a step ahead.
    From now on Granny B. stands for "Granny BAD ASS"

    ReplyDelete
  2. FishyFishy.... You crack me up.

    I have had no luck with online dating services so far. When a man contacts me and I look up his profile I DO NOT want to see a shirtless middle aged man standing in front of a bathroom mirror with his digital camera. I can not even read the profile after seeing that. Or getting messages from men with nicknames like Joe69ForYou or LVStud. Don't these guys have a clue - let me answer that - NO.
    There are some 'princes' out there and I hope you find one of the Evan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Granny B!
    I have a theory, I think there are some young self-proclaimed studs looking for a sugar mamma!

    Next time I see you, I'll refer to you as "Twinkles".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying this blog immensely! On 7/11/09, I posted a request on my sex & aging blog for senior/elder experiences with online dating sites. I'm looking for specifics about sites my readers have visited as a senior/elder. As of 7/23, only one person has commented, and she didn't name the site. I hope Granny B and her readers will come on over to http://betterthanieverexpected.blogspot.com/2009/07/online-dating-sites-for-seniors.html and post comments to help guide my readers as they navigate this new world of online dating.

    Many thanks, Granny B, for letting me post this request here.

    Joan Price

    Author of Better Than I Ever Expected: Straight Talk about Sex After Sixty (http://www.joanprice.com/BetterThanExpected.htm)

    Join us -- we're talking about ageless sexuality at http://www.betterthanieverexpected.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete