Monday, September 28, 2009

Happy One Month Birthday to Eliana!

For those of you who are not on the Prayer Warrior e-mail list, here is an update on little Eliana. There have been so many ups and downs during the last month. She is finally off the heart machine and her chest was closed yesterday. She needs prayers for her kidneys, lungs and that she avoids infection. What a brave little soul she is and how wonderful are the Prayer Warriors. Eliana is on the prayer list for daily mass at the Newman Center at UNLV, she is on the prayer list for the Las Vegas LDS Temple where prayers are said every two hours, many smaller churches have placed her in their prayers as well as the faithful friends who remember her every day. As you can see from the update from Ellie's Grandmother, the family is exhausted but is being sustained by the faith of so many people whom they have never met but who care passionately about this tiny child.

So, when you have a moment to spare, please send a message heaven bound.

Light & Love,

Granny B.

p/s: I promise a posting on the dating sites soon. 



Email message September 27, 2009   From Gramma Penny

Happy One Month Birthday to Eliana!

I have attached a picture to celebrate her 1 month birthday. The tubes are in but you cannot see them. They will probably remove the tubes in a couple of days.

Update briefs
Late last night they tried to start to wean Ellie off the respirator but a bit too soon -probably because the trunk is still swollen (Each doctor is different but I am not sure that this one is used to the pace at which this Mighty Mouse travels.)

She had 40cc of pee at midnight and some more since then.

They gave her a little more blood to pinken her up.

Apparently Ellie had a little melt down when the nurse tried to move her today and they had a code blue. Becky was out of the room at the time. (Which was probably a good thing?) Eliana is fine now. She stabilized on her own. That thought it might just be the respirator tube getting caught with the last move. They bagged her and she is fine now.

Becky admits to being tired. I am exhausted and had already said I was not going to go to the hospital today. I can tell that lack of sleep, stress and poor eating are wreaking havoc on my body.
Please pray for all of us that we are smart enough to take care of ourselves and not feel guilty about it. I am trying to convince Becky to go home as well. She told me “stop pestering  J – she will go home tonight and rest up. No worries.” Of course I feel badly that I am not going in order to relieve her – ah it is a vicious circle…but I tell myself that if I am not well I cannot be of help (so much easier said than done)

I think this is when turning things over to God and trust need to again come into play… I am human – I am older – I am tired – I am emotionally and physically spent. Perhaps yet again I am being encouraged to not just bring my cares to God but to leave them with God! Now you see why I take such solace in the frailties of so many of the people described in the bible!

 Do you not know? Have you not heard?
         The Everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth
         Does not become weary or tired
         His understanding is inscrutable.
   He gives strength to the weary,
         And to him who lacks might He increases power.
   Though youths grow weary and tired,
         And vigorous young men stumble badly,
   Yet those who wait for the LORD
         Will gain new strength;
         They will mount up with wings like eagles,
         They will run and not get tired,
         They will walk and not become weary.

Isaiah 40:28-31

I need to reread the passage above while in my humanity I take comfort from the reaction of Abraham and Sarah to the promises of God. 

Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said in his heart, ‘”Will a child be born to a man one hundred years old? And will Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?” Genesis 17:17

Sarah laughed to herself, saying, "After I have become old, shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?"
And the LORD said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh, saying, 'Shall I indeed bear a child, when I am so old?'
Is anything too difficult for the LORD?...”
Genesis 18: 12-14

Perhaps I need to recall that Eliana’s name means – God answer – God is the answer.

Again thank you for your prayers, support and love. It is appreciated more than you know.

God’s blessing on you,
Penny

**************************************************************************************************************************


Dear Prayer Warriors,

As we pray for God’s Hand and Mercy to lie gently upon Eliana, let us also pray that He sustain her family and her medical team. Every day of the last month has been like a year of stress and tension, of prayers silently offered up from our hearts with love and trust in God.  We have been together for nearly a month and surely we have seen the power of faith. Eliana has become a part of our lives and we marvel at her courage and desire for life. So, here we are on the last Sunday in September: This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad! These are difficult time in so many ways. As we pray for Eliana, her family and medical team, let us also pray for each other and ask God to watch over us all.

Evan



From Penny:

Email September 26, 2009

Praise God we have a closed chest!!

It went great. There was no change in vital signs, Eliana was as stable as can be. They usually use skin glue but the surgeon used sutures because it would be easier to manage if there was an infection.

My emotions are like partially congealed Jell-O – with this awesome news I find myself crying…

Obviously we need to continue to pray that there will be no infection. In addition, though peeing was a VERY major step, it is only one in the process of the kidneys truly functioning. One thing kidneys do – as I understood from the explanation last night – is keep the ph balance in the body. At this point they are needing to put lots of bicarbs into Ellie because the acidity levels are very high. In addition I am thinking they still need the dialysis to remove the impurities. I may learn more and will try to share.

I am in awe of the power of God! I am thankful for God’s lovingkindness! I am grateful for God’s grace. God’s glory and mercy is beyond any words I know.

God - I AM WHO AM

O give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; For His lovingkindness is everlasting.
1 Chronicles 16:34

I will give
thanks to the LORD according to His righteousness
     And will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.
Psalm 7:17


I will give
thanks to the LORD with all my heart;
     I will tell of all Your wonders.
Psalm 9:1


You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
     You have loosed my sackcloth and girded me with gladness,
That my soul may sing praise to You and not be silent
     O LORD my God, I will give
thanks to You forever.
Psalm 30:11-12

Therefore I will give
thanks to You among the nations, O LORD,
    And I will sing praises to your name.
Psalm 18:49

God’s blessings on you for all you are,
Penny


 From Penny #2:  See the photos above, they were taken today before and after the surgery.

From Penny #3: Ellie’s white count is up but no sign of infection. Please continue prayers there is so much more to come.  Thanks to all of you and blessings upon you and yours.

Penny




No comments:

Post a Comment