Wednesday, September 2, 2009

As the night slides into morning...
















I am one woman sitting alone in silence, trying to channel the essence of my spirit towards a very small flicker of life. I look at the two photos of her and marvel at her beauty. Her name is Eliana and she was born was born last Thursday so by the time I finish this post, she will be one week old. Right now her medical team is sleeping in their beds, bodies and minds resting in preparation for the task they will face in a few hours. The surgical suite is sterile and empty but in a few hours it will be filled with people, a team of women and men who will do everything in their power to save this child. I can barely imagine the machines that will breathe for her and keep her blood moving through her tiny body. Her little chest will be swabbed and sterilized and the surgeon will mark where he will begin the incision to open her infant chest.

I have no comprehension of the details of this, oh so delicate, surgery on her tiny heart. I only know the risks are too great to wait any longer. I have visions of the doctor's large hands working deep inside such a small space... of the watchful eyes following the monitors tracking her blood pressure, her breathing, her brain pattern...of the hands of nurses passing sterile cold metal instruments to the surgeons... of blood soaked gauze pads being discarded as the operation proceeds. How much blood can such a tiny body contain?

MWDL (most wonderful daughter in law) and I met Don, Eliana's grandfather, at a large craft show and greatly admired the jewelry he was selling. I don't think at that time we had ever done a show ourselves. We chatted and he told us all the jewelry was made by Penny, his wife. We would see him again and again at shows, at First Friday and other venues. When our work developed to the point that we felt confident in participating in our first show, Don was there. I had long been kidding him that I didn't Penny existed as I had never seen her. Later in the afternoon, a woman walked into our space and said "I understand that you don't think I exist, well here I am."

We just hit it off, talked and exchanged e-mail and telephone numbers. From time to time, we would contact each other. Advice flowed from Penny freely. She gave us the inside on various shows and what we could expect. We talked about style, designs and sources for beads. She invited us to come up to the north part of the valley to visit but somehow we just never got together except by computer and telephone.

Towards the end of July, Penny sent a message letting me know that the new baby had severe heart problems and would require surgery very soon after her birth. She wasn't due last week but her heart was deteriorating and it was necessary to perform a C-section and get her on support. So her birthday advanced a bit.

Penny asked me for my prayers. I don't know my standing with God. I believe in some greater power but I have a problem with organized churches and rarely attend any services other than weddings and funerals. Frankly, I am not certain that I am worthy to pray for Eliana but I have been and I am right now. I have also sent requests to many of you and asked you to send your light, love and prayers for her. I figured I wouldn't stand out in a crowd. So thanks to all of you for letting me hide among you.

Morning is rolling slowly toward us. The dawn will be lightening on the rocky coasts of Maine, the shinning towers of Manhattan, the beaches of Florida. In a couple of hours, the sun will rise like a great red ball over the jagged peaks of Frenchman's mountain.

We don't know what this day will bring. This may be the last day on earth for Eliana or, by the Grace of God, the first day of her journey to a full and normal life. This is a betting town and you know where I will put my money! Eliana is in the Hands of God and the only support each of us can offer, is our prayers. So let us bring to this day the only things we have, faith and love.

As soon as you receive this , please find a quiet place and focus your thoughts, send forth your light and prayers for Eliana, her family and her medical team.

While we are praying, let us also remember the countless people, uninsured and underinsured, in our country who have no access to any type of medical treatment which gives them a fighting chance. May God have mercy on us all.

As soon I know more, I will be back with that info for you.

Light & Love,

Evan aka Granny.

1 comment:

  1. >Eliana is in the Hands of God and the only support each of us can offer, is our prayers. So let us come together.
    Sherrill says: I believe in answered prayers. Many times in my life I or a close family member of friend has been deathly ill. Prayers were offered and each time the body was healed and the loved one recovered. In the few times where the ill passed on instead of getting better I must admit the family members felt the love of God and a peace enveloped us. I have no doubt that God is our father and He hears and answers prayers. I have no doubt that Jesus Christ is our Savior and that we can feel the spirit of God when we seek his love. I know that I feel his love when I read the scriptures. My favorite is the New Testament (King James Version) I challenge each of you who need to feel Gods peace to read and keep reading until you feel his arms around you. I know it works.
    Have faith, this dear child is in our prayers. May God watch over her and give her better health. May he bless her family and give them hope and comfort knowing God is in control. Hugs to each of you.

    ReplyDelete