Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Lion Sleeps Tonight...

I am not a woman who weeps gracefully. My nose runs, my eyelids swell near to closing and my face becomes red and blotchy. It took a cool, wet washcloth to get me going this morning and I know the stack of sodden tissues will grow during the day. But I will watch...I will keep vigil...another part of what was the best of America is gone...the last Kennedy brother is dead and the myth of Camelot is enshrined in history. The young, bright, articulate, idealist and clearly American brothers are no more.

I don't remember much about politics prior to John Fitzgerald Kennedy. My family was military and not inclined to be political. My stepfather served his country and every President was his Commander in Chief. JFK was the politician to realize the power of television and his image filled the tiny screen with charisma and promise. Young and searching for myself, I was drawn to the flame. As an early reader with a love of history, I greatly admired FDR and Winston Churchill, regarding Winnie as belonging partly to us, to America. What I felt in the politics of John Fitzgerald Kennedy was the echo of their sense of honor and belief in the common man. An echo of the military code that shaped my life: Duty, Country, Honor.

Growing up living on military bases, I never knew the evils of segregation until I lived in Virginia in the late '50s. My playmates had always been black, white, yellow, brown and every combination and shade of skin. We played, ran, shared toys, formed teams and squabbled among ourselves. We ate in each others home and had sleepovers in each others beds. I never had a sense of difference until we were stationed at Fort Eustis and for the first time in my life, my playmates and friends went to different schools, attendance based on their skin color. For the first time, I spent days surrounded by both teachers and students who did not accept the concept of equal rights; people who believed they were superior due to the color of their skin! Even then, I was outspoken about what I believed and my mother made many visits to the Newport News high school to defend my right to my opinion. It's probably no surprise that I quit school in my junior year.

In 1960, my family was living in the small dusty town of Brawley, California, in the heart of the Imperial Valley. My stepfather was based in Korea and my mother returned to her family. At an old fashioned drugstore fountain, I met a young teacher with grey eyes and curly hair who would become my husband and the father of my only child. Frank was of what was called in those days "mixed blood". His father was born in Mexico of German, Spanish, Indian and Italian blood. I only saw the man and not the label and we married. Two important events occurred in 1961; our son was born and I registered to vote for the first time... as a Democrat!

As a young wife and new mother, life revolved around my family but I followed the Kennedy saga. The Imperial Valley was a very conservative area; the economy was dominated by very large farms with very wealthy owners. Labor for these enterprises was supplied by "braceros", contracted farm labor from Mexico and transient farm workers who followed the crops, weeded, watered and harvested the food that fed America. Strong currents of civil rights led by Martin Luther King and workers rights as led by Ceasar Chavez swirled through our community and my big mouth frequently had me in hot water. At one point, Frank was called on the carpet by the Superintendent of the School system and asked why he couldn't "control" his wife. Frank replied that I was my own person and "control" wasn't a part of our relationship. However, he did change his registration from Republican to Democrat because I just couldn't stand the idea of sleeping with a Republican.

I try to explain to my grandson what it was like to experience those times. How people of conscience had to stand up and be counted. How our leaders had a vision of a different America with "liberty and justice for all", not to forget equality in terms of civil rights, labor rights and in time, equal rights. It was a time when people stood FOR something and not AGAINST everything. How it was to watch our leaders cut down by violence, one by one: Jack, Martin, Bobby. The Kennedy family was always there, suffering great public and private losses but continuing in public service, continuing to push forward the legal framework which enabled our nation to walk the walk of liberty and justice for all of us and not just talk the talk.

We knew than, as we know even better now, this family, these men, were not without flaw. They were deeply flawed. I have always believed that on every day of his life, Ted Kennedy did penitence for the death of Mary Jane Kopechne. Their private flaws were redeemed by the public good that they achieved in their lives. America is a better nation because the Kennedy brothers served her and served her well.

Let us not leave out the Kennedy women. Jackie standing in her blood soaked pink suit at the side of Lyndon Johnson while he is sworn in as President. Jackie striding down Pennsylvania Avenue in widow's weeds with her black veil floating in the breeze. The picture of Ethel, surrounded by her children, another young widow touched by violence. Eunice, champion of the disabled youth of America, mother of the Special Olympics program. Joan, a woman trying to survive her personal demons. Vickie: warm, loving, steadfast and loyal; another widow with grace sharing the private minutes of her grief and loss with all of us. Caroline, sheltering her children from the public glare while suffering such great personal loss of father, mother, uncles and brother in the public eye. These women have given so much to America.

We will always have unfinished business before us and now, each of us must become verbal in our support for the yet unrealized dreams of health care for every American, full and equal rights for each American, based on citizenship and not on sexual preference, the restoration of our economy and so much more. The "birthers", "deathers","nutters" and just plain "haters" are filling the air with their shrill and vile vomit. It's time for the rest of us to send the word to those whom we elected to represent us and let them know that we are watching and it's time to do the right thing. Not what is right for the wealthy, corporate and vested interests, who purchased the allegiance of many of the elected and paid for access and influence. Just do the right thing for America! For all Americans, not just some.

I wonder how many people are weeping today. How many of us find the dreams of our youth were inspired by the Kennedy vision of a better America? To borrow and paraphrase from one of my favorite songs: "when will we see their like again?"

And so the old Lion of the Senate has roared his last. His laughing Irish eyes are closed and his smile has faded away. Yes, the Lion sleeps tonight....reunited with the brothers, he and we, lost too soon. God Bless them all.

God Bless America
Land that we love
Stand beside Her
And guide Her
Thru the Night
With the Light
From Above...


Light & Love,

Granny B

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written and so eloquent. You made me think Evan, so much has happened since the 60's. We are lucky to live in a country like this and yet there is more work to be done.

    Thank you for your best post yet.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete